Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2019

5 Ways to Get to Know Your Students in the First Week

I can't believe it is almost time to go back to school! The most important thing about the first day of school is the first impression you make and how you show you are going to care about each student through the rest of the year. Here are some of the ways that I take time to get to know the students on the first week of school. 



1. Student Name Tags
One of the first ways that I get to know my students is through their names. I know, this sounds pretty self explanatory but it takes time to learn each student's name. I start the year by letting the students create their own name tag with things that they are passionate about. 

First, students write a list of all the things that they love: sports, art, music, video games, etc.

Then, they use their passions to create the letters in their names. I usually have them practice drawing in pencil before the final name tag. The students can ask each other for help so it turns in to a little bit of a collaborative activity too! I also use the time that they are working to circulate, practice their names, and share ideas with them!


2. My Number Story Math Get to Know You Activity
This activity helps me get to know more about each student while teaching rotation procedures (I love when I can get two things done at once!). I use this as my first math lesson of the year. 

I place 8 task cards around the room with directions on how to fill in each box of the "My Number Story" activity. I then review how to rotate and transition from one space in the classroom to another. The students fill in the bunting banner and I have a nice bulletin board to start the year!

My Number Story - Let's be Franco


My Number Story - Let's be Franco


3. Hand Self Portrait 
I use this activity to review adjectives and nouns as well as collect ideas for future writing assignments! Here is how it works:

First, students trace their hands. 

Then, I give the a list of adjectives (included in the product). They write adjectives that describe them on the trace of their hand.

Next, they write all the nouns around or inside their hand that they love or are passionate about. I have the students draw little emojis to show pictures of all the things they love. This also makes a great bulletin board! Click here for the student packet!

Unique Hand Self Portrait - Let's be Franco

4. Find Someone Who: "Back to School"
This a simple but effective way for students to get to know each other and get all the excitement of summer out! Click here for this one or you can easily make one that works for your classroom! 

Find Someone Who - Let's be Franco

5. Would you Rather Card Task Cards
I use these cards anytime there is down time in the first week. I use the cards as a whole class activity. I will have the students go to the back of the room if they like the first option and head to the front if they prefer the second option. It helps get the students up and moving as a transition between activities or as a filler of time before lunch or special time. There are 200 Would you Rather questions included here
Would you Rather - Let's be Franco

Would you Rather - Let's be Franco

These are some of my favorite ways to get to know my students, what are yours? Let me know in the comments! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...