Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

5th Grade Science Review

It is that time of year again! Standardized testing and end of the year tests are on the horizon. It can be a challenge to keep students engaged in what might seem like endless test preparation days. I decided this year I was not going to dread test prep days and neither were my students! Here is my game plan to review for the NGSS science test. 

Science End of the year Escape

I wanted to refresh the students' memories on all that I taught them throughout the year (hopefully!). So, I tried to think of the most engaging way to prepare for the standardized test and came up with an escape! I divided the escape into 4 sections: Space, Matter, Earth's Spheres, and Ecosystems. To make it even more fun, I put all the questions around the room - under tables, hanging from the ceiling, and on the wall. The students had a packet with the codes to help them unlock the clues. Check out the escape here

Escape the Cave

They worked in partnerships to not only find the clues but also answer the questions and decode the locks. Finally, when they reviewed and solved all the questions, they typed their answers in to a Google Form to determine whether the locks were all unlocked! I actually had students ask, "when are we going to do another escape; this one was so much fun!" That was incredible to hear that the effort put in to creating the questions was well worth my time! 

Escape the Cave

We spent another 2 days reviewing using station work and NGSS Spiral Review Task Cards. I divided the task cards into 8 stations and gave the students 10-15 minutes at each station. The students completed the spiral review task cards on each of the different Next Generation Science standards. I liked using these task cards in addition to the escape because the questions are more open ended and helps the students review in a different way! 

NGSS Spiral Review

What is your favorite way to review for standardized tests? I would love some more new and fresh ideas! Let me know in the comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...