Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Top 3 Resources to Set Up Your Classroom

Let's be Franco


Freshly painted walls and shiny waxed floors greeted me as I stepped into school for the first time in over a month. There are not many professions where one can say they can start with a clean slate every year. New students, new expectations, and a renewed hope that this year will be better than the last. That is one of many things that makes teaching so special. 

In honor of starting a new school year, I wanted to share my must haves to start my class on the right foot. 

1. Setting up expectations in the classroom with classroom rules! My friend introduced me to Whole Brain Teaching and I have never looked back :) The rules are simple and the interaction is fun! My all time favorite rule is to "Keep Your Dear Teacher Happy."
Let's be Franco
To make my classroom management easier, I have the rules pasted on each student's desk. If a student breaks a rule, they get a check on their behavior chart. If they don't have a check for the week, they earn tickets on Friday! 
Let's be Franco
2. Kagan Desk Tags and Numbers are a must have! They have saved me from having to think about groups, who can line up first or who should get supplies from the back table. All I have to do now, is call "The ones can line up" or "A's can you teach the B's" 
Let's be Franco 
Each table gets a number...
Let's be Franco
Then, each desk will get a number that correlates with their table...
Let's be Franco
The grouping combinations are endless!

3. Enrichment activities for early finishers or those willing to put their heart and soul into extra credit! These aren't your standard extra credit assignments, they require thought, effort, and creative thinking! 
Let's be Franco
Now, there are many other things to think about around the room but these 3 are always set up before the students walk in the door! 

What are your must haves for classroom set up!?
Happy Teaching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...