Pages

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Growth Mindset + SMART Goals!

Let's be Franco

How do you change the mindset of your students when they want to give up? Encouraging students and giving them positive reinforcement have always been my go to ways to help students be more successful. I have learned that student motivation also has to come from within. I have tried different ways of goal setting to show students how to create a goal and achieve it! 

Last year, I stumbled across SMART goals. 
Let's be Franco
The reason I love these goals is that students are held accountable for their goals. I even used it as a math activity and had the students graph their progress each week on the effort they are putting in to achieve the goals they set out to accomplish. 

I was also introduced to the Growth Mindset last year and loved it! It is the idea that our minds are not fixed. Instead of saying "I can't do multiplication, I have never been good at math." You flip your thinking to "I haven't been able to master multiplication yet but I know I can work harder and will be able to!"

Fast forward to... linking SMART goals with the GROWTH MINDSET! The students will brainstorm a SMART goal that is achievable and measurable throughout the year. The students will post their goal on a bulletin board and monitor their goal and mindset throughout the semester! Bonus - A bulletin board that lasts all year round! 

Let's be Franco
Let's be Franco

Let me know what you think! 
Happy Teaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...