Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Math Review Baseball Game

Are you looking for a math review game that will engage ALL of your students? Try math baseball! I like to use this game for math because I can come up with countless questions on the same topic. Below I will show you my rules for the game but they can be adapted based on how you would like to play! 

Multiply Decimals Baseball Review


How to play

Preparation:
1. You will need to collect many questions for each of the 3 levels of questions. When I collect my questions, I usually have at least 20 questions per level. Check out my Multiplying Decimal Review if you don't have time to come up with your own questions. 
2. You will designate the bases around the classroom. 
3. You will split the class into teams and create a batting order (if desired). 
4. Have paper or whiteboards for the students to work out the questions. 
5. Teams can choose a team captain that will be the spokesperson for their team. 
Multiply Decimals Baseball Review

Rules: 
1. All students must attempt each problem for review. 
2. Only the student who is batting will get a chance to answer. 
3. The fielding team can work collaboratively to see if the answer is correct. 
4. Good sportsmanship is required! 

Game Play: 
1. One team is up to bat and the other team is playing the field. 
2. The team that is up to bat will roll a dice to determine what type of problem they are attempting. 
  • Single - if they roll a 1 or a 4
  • Double - if they roll a 2 or a 5
  • Triple - if they roll a 3 or a 6
3. The player that is up to bat will answer the question. 
4. The team that is fielding will determine if the answer is correct (only the team captain will speak). 
  • If the batter is correct, they go to the base that they rolled. If there is anyone already on base, they force them to go to the next base. 
  • If the batter is incorrect, they are out. 
5. Once the batting team has 3 outs, the fielding team will be up to bat. 
6. The game ends when both teams have been up the same amount of times. 
7. The winning team will be the team with the most runs into home plate. 

This is one of my favorite ways to review because all students can get involved in the game regardless of whether they are "up to bat" or not. Students love the change of pace from a boring test review too! This would also make a great classroom transformation which may be in my future... 

I also have a 4th grade review that I use at the beginning of the year. Click here to see more! 




What other questions do you have about Math Baseball? Let me know in the comments! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...