Pages

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Getting Back to School with Math

Let's be Franco
Pairing sports and academics always seems to be a hit in my classroom. A BONUS is when I can say that I have met the Common Core standards while we play!

I started playing Math Baseball last year because I am always looking for a new way to review material. I want to keep the students engaged and interested in every question. While we play, I have every student hold a personal white board to work out each math problem. 

To begin, the class is split into two groups (boys vs. girls?). I place the bases around the room so the students have to walk to the base which gets them up and moving. 
Let's be Franco

One team starts up to bat while the other is playing the field. The batting team will "roll a hit" by rolling a dice to find out what kind of hit they are playing for. 
Single - roll is a 1 or 4
Double - roll is a 2 or 5
Triple - roll is a 3 or 6
Depending on what they roll, I will choose a question that is appropriate for the level of hit. 
Let's be Franco

To keep the fielding team involved, they  determine whether the answer is correct or incorrect (I always have the final say though!) 

What could be better than using Math Baseball to start the first lesson of 5th grade math? They can review what they learned in 4th grade while making the class fun for you and the students! If you teach 4th grade, this also covers all the standards to review at the end of the year!

Want to see more? Click here to check out my store :) 






1 comment:

  1. What a fun way to keep students engaged in their learning and review! It's always great when students can move around and feel like they are playing instead of learning. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Are you ready for game time? This football classroom transformation was perfect after the Super Bowl with my 5th graders! We reviewed adding...